Respect is an upcoming American biographical drama film that will be directed by Liesl Tommy. Tracey Scott Wilson will write the screenplay for the movie. The movie will be based on the life of the legendary singer Aretha Franklin.
The singer herself was involved with the development of the movie until her death in August 2018. Filming of the movie began in September 2019 and wrapped up in February 2020.
Here is everything you need to know about the upcoming biopic.
Respect Release Date: When will it be released?
Initially, the movie was scheduled to be released on 14 August 2020. But due to the ongoing pandemic, the movie got delayed. Now it has a new release date. If all goes well, the movie will be released on Christmas 2020 in the United States only. The movie will open internationally in January 2021.
Respect Cast: Who will be in it?
The cast of the movie was officially revealed, and it includes
- Jennifer Hudson as Aretha Franklin
- Forest Whitaker as C. L. Franklin
- Marlon Wayans as Ted White
- Audra McDonald as Barbara Siggers Franklin
- Marc Maron as Jerry Wexler
- Tituss Burgess as James Cleveland
- Saycon Sengbloh as Erma Franklin
- Hailey Kilgore as Carolyn Franklin
- Tate Donovan as John Hammond
- Mary J. Blige as Dinah Washington
- Heather Headley as Clara Ward
- Kimberly Scott as Mama Franklin
- Lodric D. Collins as Smokey Robinson
Respect Plot: What will the plot entail?
The plot will focus on the story of legendary US singer-songwriter Aretha Franklin as she attempts to find her voice in 1960’s America and make her mark on the music industry.